Where does the money go?
This is an important question because as a white woman who has and continues to benefit from generational wealth, I am constantly questioning the flow of money and resources. I have learned to practice critical thinking and discernment and still have a ways to go.
I acknowledge and am aware that I participate in a capitalistic culture. Currently, this is a brief summary of how I navigate the complications of being a white woman, earning money, participating in capitalism, investing in anti-racism work, redistributing wealth, and supporting Women of Color.
I haven’t figured it out. I am a work in progress and this is not perfect. In fact, it is flawed. But it is also better and I will continue to aim for better.
- A percentage of our earnings go to the down payment fund for Black and Brown homeowners through the OWN IT: Building Black Wealth program.
- Our company, Alvarado Real Estate Group, has a bold commitment to social justice. Read more here.
- I vote, financially support, and contribute time, energy, and passion to the political campaigns of Women of Color in local, state, and national politics.
- I invest in and support organizations led by People of Color in the Madison, WI area. Mentoring Positives, Freedom Inc, Urban Triage, Centro Hispano, to name a few (there are many, many more).
- I seek out, hire, and learn from People of Color in their professional areas.
- I follow Black and Brown Women. I don’t follow ALL Women of Color because they are not a monolith. I also hire and follow white women and men and before I do, I inquire about their racial justice values and work in the world because it matters to me.
- I support Dane Buy Local, local businesses, social entrepreneurs, Latino Chamber of Commerce, Black Chamber of Commerce, Progress Center for Black Women.