Thank you to the Miltenberger Team at NFM Lending for having me as their guest speaker for their monthly mastermind with local Realtors in the Lynnwood, WA area.
We talked about:
- How systems of oppression and government policies initiated stereotypes and segregated cities and what our role is in addressing negative biases and seeing the impact they have within the real estate industry.
- Biases and how we need to be honest about them, how we learned them, and need to unlearn, negate, reframe them.
- Intent vs impact and how White people have a responsibility to check ourselves when it comes to worrying more about what people think of us vs what our impact is when we make mistakes in talking about race and racism.
- The barriers of down payment assistance programs for first-time and first-generation buyers and the role Realtors and Lenders have in seeing the barriers and challenging the systems that put them in place.
- The power of education and learning more than what we are taught.
- Ways in which Realtors can better position themselves to be part of the solution and not be part of the problem.
I am so grateful for people like Skye Perrin and Jeff Miltenberger for seeing injustices in the real estate industry and seeking ways to do and be better. Sometimes it’s messy. We didn’t figure it all out, but in getting messy, we get better. We really do.
For more resources for Realtors, please click here – thank YOU for doing the work!
Upcoming online learning opportunity: August 15th, 10-12noon – Untold Stories about ‘Good” Schools and Neighborhoods. Click here for more info and to register.
If you would like me to speak/teach/train with your team, brokerage, or mastermind group email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.